so i know a lot of you probably don’t know who i am, or anything about my life or the friends i have, but let me introduce you to my friend julia and her family.
julia is there on the right with the manic grin and hot braces, and with her are her parents, sophia and ahmet. they’re a wonderful family who i’ve known for around ten years now. they’re kind, generous, fierce and loving. they are an unshakeable unit and deserve all the good things that life has to offer.
unfortunately, sometimes other people make shitty choices with no regard to others, and families like this are the ones that have to suffer.
on the 19th of december 2012, ahmet was hit by a motorcycle in paris, going at 100 km/h+ whilst he was on his way to pick up julia from the train station. they hadn’t seen each other for months, and were massively excited about spending the holidays today.
but because of this asshole motorcyclist, the holidays were anything but happy.
paramedics struggled to keep ahmet alive for over two hours, just so they could get him stable enough to move to the hospital for an onslaught of intensive surgeries. he survived the crucial first 24hrs, and stayed in a medically induced coma for the next two weeks.
his injuries are extensive and life-changing, and are as follows:
- his tibia broke out of his skin in two places on his left leg. he already have problems with his right knee prior to the accident.
- all of the metacarpals in his left hand were crushed, and came out of his hand in several places.
- both of his elbows broke, as did both of his clavicles.
- his left shoulder was dislocated and is now restricted to minimal movement from improper healing.
- all of the ribs on his left side broke, as did two ribs on his right.
- his entire facial structure was smashed to pieces, and the front of his skull has been rebuilt with metal plates and pins.
- his upper lip and maxilla were split open from the impact of his face on the motorcyclist’s helmet.
- he is now blind in his right eye.
- he is severely brain damaged on both sides of his brain.
whilst he has now woken up from his coma, the fight ahead is still long and hard. he has a lot of physical healing to do, as well has extensive neurological rehabilitation.
this is somebody’s father. this is somebody’s soul mate. this is somebody’s brother and son. he’s a human being that has had his life snatched away from him because of another’s carelessness.
now, on top of all of this, finances are stretched well beyond their breaking point. because ahmet and sophia are self-employed, their insurance won’t cover the colossal amount of medical bills they’re now swamped with. their company, which they built together, is now falling apart. they are losing work constantly, and facing several lawsuits as they are unable to stick to the contracts made prior to the accident. they might lose their house. they might lose the car they use to go to the hospital every day to see ahmet.
i know this family, and I love them. they have been through so much, both separately and together, and they have come out fighting every time. everything they have worked so hard for is now falling apart, and it’s grossly unfair.
these bills are currently amounting to around 50,000€. julia has created a donations page which i urge you to help with. any amount will do, and if you’re unable to give please share the page either by reblogging this post, creating your own, or putting it on your facebook/twitter etc etc.
please reblog even if you don’t donate - you can’t put a price on the word of mouth!
any well wishes you wanna send julia’s way can be done so via her tumblr or you can message her on the donations page. give her love people!